From time to time quite extraordinary projects are undertaken by dedicated and committed volunteer groups. A few years ago the Friends of Skokholm and Skomer, which was founded in 1981, set about raising funds to start the renovation of Ronald Lockley’s cottage and outbuildings on the Island of Skokholm. Lockley took out a long lease on this island in 1927 and started studying and recording migratory birds in 1928, establishing the first British Bird Observatory in 1933. The second world war saw the island used by the military but following this, research and ringing of birds only continued until 1976. The funds required to undertake the renovations to the derelict buildings were enormous, not to mention the extraordinary number of volunteer man hours also needed. FPCNP are delighted to have been associated with this project by making a modest financial contribution, and some of our members also helped with the work undertaken which culminated in the reinstatement of the Skokholm Bird Observatory in 2014.
During the period July 2013 to June 2014, FPCNP was successful in bidding for a grant of £4,900 from the Hywel Dda Charitable Trust in order to help support the ‘Walkability’ project being administered by the National Park Authority.
The project started in 2011, and provides tailored walks for local people with health or disability issues, enabling them to explore the National Park and to gain health and social benefits from participation. Users include cardiac rehabilitation exercise referral patients, mental health day care patients and ex-patients, palliative care and disabled groups who depend on electric mobility scooters, Army family welfare teams’ clients, local community (general), cycle mobility for those with special physical and learning needs and pupils with special needs.
An Executive member of the Friends liaised with and served on the Walkability Co-ordinating Committee during the funded period (which has now finished) and has been asked to continue to provide further input in the future. If you are interested in this project, please contact our Chairman, Steve Drinkwater, by using the details on our Contact Us form.
This pump house, containing a very interesting and rare Tangye pump engine, is located close to St. Bride’s Church and owned by the National Park Authority. The pump house was renovated by the Friends and National Park staff during 2000-2001. The pump house is still maintained by the Friends and the Tangye engine has been restored to working order with demonstrations of the pump periodically organised in the summer by a member of the Friends.
You can find much more of the history and restoration on this external website, but please note that the opening times etc. are no longer correct. Instead, for information on possible times of working demonstrations, contact Chris Taylor 01646 600225.